Daily Current Affairs 28th February 2018

1. National Science Day – 28th February

National Science Day - 28th FebruaryNational Science Day is celebrated in India on 28 February each year to mark the discovery of the Raman effect by Indian physicist Sir Chandrasekhara Venkata Raman on 28 February 1928.

For his discovery, Sir C.V. Raman was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1930.

The theme of the year 2018 is “Science and Technology for a sustainable future.”

Source: Wikipedia

2. UIDAI introduces ‘Baal Aadhaar’ for children

UIDAI introduces Baal Aadhaar for childrenUIDAI or the Unique Identification Authority of India introduced a ‘Baal Aadhaar’ card. This blue-coloured card to be given to children below the age of five years.

To get a Baal Aadhaar, no biometric details to be needed.

A child below 5 years of age gets a blue in coloured Aadhaar known as Baal Aadhaar. When the child becomes 5 yr old, a mandatory biometric update is required.

Source: Financial Express

3. India congratulates China for becoming the vice chair of FATF

India congratulates China for becoming the vice chair of FATFIndia congratulated China for becoming the vice chair of the Financial Action Task Force (FATF), a global body mandated to combat terror financing and hoped Beijing would “uphold and support” the objective of the watchdog in a balanced and objective way.

The FATF placed Pakistan under monitoring in its International Cooperation Review Group until June 2018 for compliance with Anti-Money Laundering and Combating Finance of Terrorism Regulations.

This was possible after Foreign Secretary Vijay Gokhale travelled to Beijing, and played a role in convincing the Chinese to stop objecting to the US proposal on placing Pakistan on the grey list.

Source: The Indian Express

4. Uma Bharti launches 2nd project of Swajal Yojana in Rajasthan

Uma Bharti launches 2nd project of Swajal Yojana in RajasthanUnion Minister of Drinking Water and Sanitation, Uma Bharti, launched the Swajal pilot project at Village Bhikampura, Karauli, Rajasthan.

Besides ensuring the availability of clean drinking water to every household around the year, the project would also generate employment.

Swajal is a community owned drinking water programme for sustained drinking water supply.

Under the scheme, 90% of the project cost to be taken care by the Government and the remaining 10% of the project cost to be contributed by the community.

Key points:
Capital: Jaipur
Chief Minister: Vasundhara Raje
Governor: Kalyan Singh

Source: Press Information Bureau

5. Rahul Mahajan appointed as Rajya Sabha TV Editor-in-Chief

Rahul Mahajan appointed as Rajya Sabha TV Editor-in-ChiefSenior journalist Rahul Mahajan was appointed Editor-in-Chief of Rajya Sabha TV, owned and operated by the Upper House of Parliament.

A five-member selection panel, chaired by Prasar Bharti Chairman A.

Surya Prakash, recommended Mahajan’s appointment and Rajya Sabha Chairman M. Venkaiah Naidu approved.

Mahajan, who hails from Shimla in Himachal Pradesh, has 26 years of media experience, including 23 years in various news channels.

Source: Business Standard

6. India ranks 47th when it comes to the inclusive Internet – Facebook

India ranks 47th when it comes to the inclusive Internet - FacebookIndia is ranked 47th out of 86 countries when it comes to inclusive Internet and connectivity for all.

Facebook, which commissioned the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) to create a comprehensive “Inclusive Internet Index,” found India in the middle of Asian countries (12th out of 23) when it comes to connectivity.

This year’s index covered 91 percent of the world’s population and an expanded data set of 86 countries, up from 75 countries in 2017.

Source: Times Now News

7. Jordan King Abdullah II on a 3-day India visit

Jordan King Abdullah II on a 3-day India visitThe King of Jordan Abdullah-II bin Al-Hussein arrived in New Delhi on a 3-day visit to India, was accorded a grand welcome with Prime Minister Narendra Modi receiving him at the airport.

The Jordanian King’s visit here comes nearly three weeks after Modi travelled to Jordan as part of his trip to West Asia, including Palestine.

Key points:
King: Abdullah-II bin Al-Hussein
Capital: Amman
Currency: Jordanian dinar

Source: Business Standard

8. EPFO has introduced UAN-Aadhaar linking facility

EPFO has introduced UAN-Aadhaar linking facilityEmployees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) has introduced UAN-Aadhaar linking facility for the convenience of members using EPFO Link in UMANG Mobile App.

The facility on e-KYC Portal has further added a new feature to link UAN with Aadhaar online using biometric credentials.

Key points:
UAN stands for Universal Account Number

Employees Provident Fund Organisation
Founded: 4 March 1952, New Delhi
Headquarters: New Delhi
CEO: V. P. Joy

Source: Press Information Bureau


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here